JuJuBee: She's All Growed Up

Monday, March 14, 2005

She's All Growed Up

Isn't it funny how differently we perceive our parents when we actually become parents ourselves? Thinking back on the sacrifices that my mom made for us leaves me in awe. We had a tough life...I can see that now. The funny thing is, I never realized that growing up. It never occurred to me that not EVERY child was enrolled in the free lunch program at school. It was never an odd thing to get a box full of government cheese, butter and canned vegetables for free at the food bank. I got pretty excited to see what sort of cereal they were giving that month! My brother and I never felt as children that we were less than fortunate. Money didn't weigh on our minds. I can't imagine how it affected our parents, but they did a superb job of keeping that issue away from us. I don't remember arguments about money, yet surely there had to be a few.

My mom taught us to appreciate what we had. As children I know that we didn't take care of things the way we should have. Toys were broken and lost. I made a habit (at a very early age) of getting into my moms make-up and doing god knows what damage to it. We didn't have money to throw around and I'm sure that it was tough to see us ruin things. As I grew up, that lesson sunk in. I take great care of my things now and hope that I am teaching LittleJuJu the same. That is only one lesson that I took from my mom. There are many. She taught me to see past the color of one's skin. This could not have been easy in the small town that I grew up in. There couldn't have been more than two or three African-American families in our area, and only a handful of different ethniticities in our school. She taught me to forgive. This one she taught by example, as she has forgiven me over the years many more times than should have been asked of her. She taught me to love unconditionally, to be compassionate. She taught me that you can accomplish whatever you want if you put your mind to it. When my parents divorced, I watched as my mother went back to school, while raising two (one more difficult than the other) teenagers. She worked her ass off and her grades showed it. She didn't have much help, this I know.

I hope that the long journey from childhood to her 35th birthday (35 today, right Mom??) finds her happy. I hope she knows that her children think the world of her and will always know the sacrifices she has made for them. I hope she realizes the positive impact she has had on their lives. Sometimes it may not be so apparent, but she has done a wonderful job. The hardest job in the world.

Wishing you a wonderful birthday, Mom! We love you so much! Enjoy your day. You won't be 35 forever (wink,wink)!
• Posted by JuJubee @ 3/14/2005 10:53:00 AM
About me
Previous
Blogroll
Photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from JuJuBeeJenny. Make you own badge here.


Credit